Sunday, February 21, 2010

Early sketches...

The Concept:


Last semester, my design idea was kind of super-natural. It was this spooky, ghost story played from the perspective of a little kid with an evolved set of physical abilities. Gameplay wise, I looked at the RPG elements of Oblivion and Fable and the action elements of Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia. I purposefully steered clear of guns because they just didn't really fit the setting or feel of the game (except for one small chapter =P ). Therefore, this semester I figured I'd go all out and design some kind of military shooter. Much to the dismay of my family, I have after all, been drawing guns and soldiers since I could first wield a pen! So as a starting point I looked at obvious favourites, Halo and Modern Warfare (and I will come back to Halo in later posts...). Although I wasn't really certain about a story to begin with, I knew I wanted certain features:


Near future setting

Group based dynamic

(Probably) Third Person

Include Vehicles


...if I'm forgetting any other features, I'm sure I'll come to them later on.

Since it wasn't my main focus to look at story, I decided to overlook it for the time being and push on with some drawing to see where it would take me.

Notably at this point I had spoken to Josh about concept work and he had explained that in order to be a really strong concept artist, you should be able to create imagery from a brief that will then go on to inform the design process as it develops. Like a back and forth dynamic between designer and artist. This was something I have tried to bear in mind right through as I set myself a brief and tried to react to new ideas that came through in the drawings.


I began the preliminary work that any artist starts with - loose sketches for the four main subject matters - armour, weapons, vehicles and enemies. I then went on to pick out the 'shapes' that looked strongest and create slightly more detailed designs.









No comments:

Post a Comment